Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Missionary or Mission field?

I work with the public. I am a waiter so I am in constant contact with people. As a minister this awesome. But, it brings up questions about how I am to serve certain individuals. Do I treat everyone as they are lost? Do I treat everyone as they are saved? Or, if they mention church or Jesus, do I assume they are a believer? Do morals play a role in this?

I have come to a conclusion. There are two kinds of people. Not good and bad, because we are all bad. Not saved or lost, because only God knows every man's heart. But, by mission. By partnership.

When Christ calls us to salvation, He calls us to ministry. He calls us to serve Him, and to serve others for His glory. We are called to a mission, as missionaries. So, we are to minister to people based on their mission and how they are living it out. Are they a missionary, or a mission field? Are they my partner, or what I am working towards for the Glory of God?

This brought up another question: When people look at me, do they see a missionary or a mission field? Do they see a servant of Christ, or a way to serve Christ?

This question has turned into a conviction. So often, as the American church, we look at Africa, Asia, and Haiti as mission fields. But, what about our workplace? What about our household? What about our school? And, this is scary, but what about our church? We often assume that everyone has heard, or we assume that every situation around us will take care of itself. We assume that it is someone else's responsibility. Don't assume, because "assumers" accomplish little for the Kingdom.


So, are you a missionary or a mission field? There is no other option, and often enough, this answers the question of "saved or lost?" So, looking at your life, are you on mission.? Are you serving Christ with true conviction, passion, and love?

Matthew 28:18-20

18 Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations,* baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."


Are you making disciples or do you need to be made into a disciple?
 
Mission or Mission Field...

No comments:

Post a Comment