Monday, March 7, 2011

"Goooooal!"

"Goooooooooooooooooal!"

If you're a soccer fan, your heart just skipped a beat. If you're not a soccer fan, join the club. I played one season when I was little. I was awful. I've hated it ever since.

But, I do watch the world cup. I have been to Brazil. That's soccer. When a team scores, the broadcast crew lets you know. One of the analyst will shout, "Gooooooooooooooooooal." He is announcing that a team has achieved success.

Whether on the athletic field, in the business world, or in the classroom, success is desired.

I was talking with a friend this morning, and she said, "Sometimes I feel like a loser". She explained her situation as an effort to persuade me to feel the same.

We often look at our bank account, trophy case, and personal records to define our level of success. This is sad. This is wrong.

If our level of success is determined by what we have done, we've all come up way short. We have mistakes and we find ways to fail even when things seem to be going semi-well. But, there is hope for the believer.

A believer in Christ doesn't have to keep a personal score card. An awesome thing about following Jesus is that our success is defined by what Jesus has done, and what He will do in us.

Two awesome verses:

 "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”" -John 16:33



"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."- Philippians 1:6




Let's focus on Christ. Only things done in His name will last. Shouldn't we consider things that pass away as failures?

I am currently praying that Jesus will do things through me so that that fruit may last. Pray with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment