Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hot Wings and Jesus

I love chicken wings! Really, I do.


Me feasting on some "Jammin' Jalapeno" wings from Buffalo Wild Wings.


Tuesday Nights have been dubbed "wing night" at several local places. I love it. Great wings, and decent prices.


 There is something that most of these venues have in common: TV's! (I enjoy them too, just ask Taylor) On most of these TV's are games. The biggest games of the night are being shown to this packed out restaurant. Most of the people come with jerseys on which signifies the fact that they are most likely sports fans. They call the boys up, throw their Derrick Rose threads on, and get to eating. As a huge sports fan I kinda see it as a celebration. You celebrate your friends, the food, and your sports teams. At any given moment one section of the place is prone to erupt because a made basket or missed field goal. I love it!


We see Levi (Matthew) call some of his boys up to celebrate like this in Luke 5. They all probably strapped on their "Jerusalem cruisers" and headed right over to their buddies house for a feast. When they got their they realized that it wasn't about "Bethlehem barbecue" or the latest gladiator battle. They were there to celebrate Jesus. The bible says that Levi invited Jesus as the "Guest of Honor." Levi was being all about Jesus.


Now, this isn't to bash get-togethers or sports. You can see me enjoying myself in the picture above! But, what if we celebrated Jesus like we do the other things that we love? What if we invited friends over, started relationships, or just lived life in general with the specific purpose of celebrating Jesus?


1. Joy would abound.
 I leave the wing place "full".... My stomach and my heart. If we were full of Christ, wouldn't it be that much better?


2. Relationships would be strengthened.
These times will bring you closer to fellow believers. I know when I jump up and down with the boys we're screaming together. Won't it be the same for those who are "rooting for" Christ?


3. New relationships will be made.
People will see your excitement. They will want to be on winning team too. It's probable that the guys Levi invited were lost. Also, just like sports fans, you will have your doubters. Don't be discouraged. Jesus and Levi had plenty of those.


And, by the way, doesn't Jesus deserve more attention and celebration than sports teams or food? The bible says so. He is THE KING, not Lebron James.

To be ALL ABOUT JESUS, we must celebrate Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment