Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Slap the Bull

I recently watched a comedy where they played a game. Now, I wouldn't play it if I had the chance. But, the name was "Slap the bull". When introduced, some of the characters thought that it included drinking. It didn't. It is actually what it is called. It involves sneaking up behind a bull, slapping the bull on the less-than charming side, and running. You hope to run faster than the bull or catch him taking a nap.


Let me repeat, you will never hear of me playing this game.

But, why not? The answer is obvious. It has to be FEAR. As helpless human-beings we fear quite a few things. Some fear death, some fear failure, and some people are just plain scared. But, fear does not always help or hide us from danger. Sometimes fear hides us from success. Sometimes fear keeps us from taking a step that would put is right where God wants us to be.

For so long, I rejected Christ out of fear. In that fear was pride. I was afraid of being minimized in light of something greater and larger than myself. I was afraid of following Christ, and preaching, teaching, and sharing like he was calling me to do. My fear was wrapped up in ME. I had fear, because I was still concerned with me, myself and I. I was consumed by thoughts of my well-being. Our fear is usually not fueld by outside circumstances, but by our own insecurities.


Romans 3:23- "For all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God"

The fact of things being out of our control should be comforting, because we always manage to mess things up. It's a fact. I do not grasp why we think we will be better off following our own plans and configurations. Maybe it is trust? I have no clue, but I do know that we are better off following God's plan, because he is faultless. He is the one drawing the map, so why not let him lead us on this journey.

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

The call of Christ does include a cross. Don't get confused. This verse does not support the health, wealth, and prosperity gospel. But, it supports truth. Because, it is truth. The road that the believer will travel is not easy. It is not all sunshine and flowers. But, it is beautiful. It calls for humility, and brokenness. It calls for submission, and commands us to tap out in the grasp of our Father. Though it is hard, it is worth it. This plan is to give us hope. This plan is to give us Jesus. Jesus is to be our hope. If He is our true hope, all fear is to be cancelled out. The wrath is no longer on our back, but the grace is in our hearts. This plan is tough, but it is to lead us to the cross. Don't forget that after the cross was resurrection. Want life? It is in Jesus. You are called to carry a cross before you get there, and while you are on your journey, but so what? If your hope is in Jesus, the victory has already been won.
What do you fear? Don't. God has a plan for you. You're right. It isn't your plan. It probably isn't what you want. IT'S BETTER!


Jesus is everything, and if you don't have Jesus you don't have anything.


Believe Jesus. Love Jesus. Live Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment