Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Issue #3: Holding On

From the time we were born we have been taught to hold on. You always hold Mommy's hand when crossing the street. You always hold on to the bottle because it is oh so good, and you hold on to the handle bars while you learn to ride a bike. Then come the manners. We are taught to "hold on" to our "yes ma'ams" and our "no sirs". We are taught to hold on to our burps at the kitchen table. We are taught to hold on, but are we ever taught to let go?


UNFORGIVENESS
For me forgiveness has always been an issue. I have always needed forgiveness and I have been slow to give it. Growing up, like most, I had a lot of hurt. I had a lot of struggles. Over time I allowed my hurt, my pain, and my disappointment to mold me. As a scared and hurt little boy I learned how to build up emotional walls. As a boy I learned to hold on. I began to grasp on to my pain, holding it tightly, while having no desire to release it.

This hurt quickly turned to anger. As I grew so did my hate for the ones who hurt me. I began to blame myself and the ones who were reaching out to help me. As a young boy, I was wrapped up in the world of unforgiveness.

Things happen, people have pain, and feelings are hurt. People tend to hold on to these hurts and refuse to release the burden. Unforgiveness has always been an issue in relationships, whether it is a friendship, the church, or the family. As we have been taught, we hold on to our past and quickly find out how it has an effect on our future.


SIGNS OF UNFORGIVENESS
Some signals you ask? Anger is the number one, I would say. Hurt has a wicked way of transforming itself into anger. As a result of the pain in my childhood, the older I got the angrier I grew. If you have been hurt in your past(you have) and you find yourself being generally angry or even quick tempered, you probably have an issue with unforgiveness.

For the believer, no sign should be greater or more obvious than the conviction and discernment of the Holy Spirit. If God is telling you that you have an issue with unforgiveness and holding on, YOU DO.


ISSUES WITH THE ISSUE
If what I've said so far hasn't sent up a red flag or two about unforgiveness, this should. Unforgiveness is trap used by Satan so that he can entangle believers and hinder them from submitting to the will of God. He uses it as a rope to tie up our hands and our hearts. There are many issues with this issue. It will rob you of your hopes, your dreams, your joy, and any desire you may have to please God. Satan will use unforgiveness to kill your joy, steal your hope, and ultimately destroy your relationships! This issue has helped put a damper on the work of the Church for centuries.


FORGIVENESS
Forgiveness is a beautiful thing. There is an argument to be made for it's beauty. Forgiveness is a reflection and a product of God's love. We, as followers, have gained the forgiveness of our sins only through the love of God, which was displayed on the Cross of His Son and through the Resurrection of our King. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing! And God has given us the privilege of forgiving others. Forgiveness sets debtors free, erasing all debt. Forgiveness sets slaves free, fulfilling the job. Prisoners are made saints because forgiveness is a beautiful thing.


WHY FORGIVE?
Why? To pass on the gift of God. Why? To get rid of the pain and bitterness that your unforgiveness is causing you. Why? HAVE YOU READ THE PAST SEVERAL PARAGRAPHS?

Maybe a little extra motivation. A liitle more gas in the engine of forgiveness...

Matthew 6:14 "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

We all are sinful. Just as someone has sinned against you, you have sinned against God. We are all guilty. We spit in the face of The King, while screaming for Him to be crucified. How can hold anything against anyone? We are no better than the other. We can make excuses and try to justify it, but the fact is that WE ARE GUILTY and won't be shown forgiveness unless we show forgiveness.


CURE
LET GO. How? Forgive like Jesus did as he died a criminal's death. The desire of every beleiver should be to look like Jesus. Why any different in this area? Defy the nature of man and let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment