Monday, June 14, 2010

Issue #1: The "ME" Disorder

As I searched myself through and through I found many issues and they all had one thing in common: Me.

I asked this series of questions: "Do I want to be great? Do I want to be recognized? Do I want to be needed? Do I want to be a hero?"... If I answered yes, my heart was not where it needed to be. When we answer yes to these questions we create the habit of recognizing "ME".

The "ME" disorder is when all of your wants and all of your desires have to do with ME(YOU). We often look out for numero uno, me, myself, and I. It is my job, my house, my time, and ultimately my life in the eyes of someone who has this disorder. The number one priority of someone who has this disorder is in someway circulating around themselves.

What are your priorities? Are they revolving around you? So often believers make up this list of priorities in their minds and number one is labeled "God". But is it true? I can write a fictional story about being a super hero, but does that make it true? Of course not. Throw out all religious, biased, or fictional answers when asking yourself where your priorities fall. If you fail to do this you simply become wrapped up in another myth of "ME".

John 3:30 says this-


"He must increase, but I must decrease."

When Jesus said get up, leave everything, and follow me he meant it. As we have made a commitment to Christ, all pre-existing appointments have been cancelled and we have been booked for an eternity. It is no longer our agenda, or our schedule but we are to be what and where God commands us to be, when he commands it.

If you want to be great, Christianity is not for you. As Christ called his disciples, he let them know up front that it would not be a walk in the park. He broadcasted the message and allowed everyone there to know that those who followed him would be hated by the world and persecuted abroad. This is not the rockstar lifestyle.

The lie titled, "the Health, Wealth, and Prosperity Gospel", was created for someone with the "ME" disorder. It tells us to come just as we are and that if we simply believe, Christ will paint your porch, wash your car, fill your bank account, and send you on vacation. We have missed a major point. Christianity is not about serving self but about falling to our knees a praising Christ and being thankful that he would even allow us to kiss his feet. Christianity was not meant to focus on Christians but to focus on Jesus as an all sufficient savior.

Obviously Christians gain an eternity with Christ in heaven but we have twisted the Gospel and made it about us. Christ did not only come so that we would accept him, but so that God could accept us. See I am sinful and you are sinful. We are not good, but in the heart of "ME" we create a persona, an untruth, and a myth that says we are great. By doing this we create a long life of disappointment, heart-break, and confusion because we cannot live up to the hype.

THE CURE

Find your cross and carry it daily. Come to a grip with reality and realize that it is not about you. Lay down your life and pick up your cross. I encourage you as a brother in Christ to stop trying to fulfill your childhood dreams, and make Christ your dream.




Believe Jesus. Love Jesus. Live Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment