Monday, April 11, 2011

How do you deal with it?

I played baseball my freshman year of high school. I was awful. I didn't play much. So when I say I played, I mean I made the team. Other than t-ball, it is the only baseball I've ever participated in. And, you could tell it.



I knew I was bad. I had to accept that. I had to accept the fact that I was horrific, so that I could work my tale off, and get better.


There are many battles of reality and fantasy in life. Where we live in a fairy-tale land. Whether we sit on a cloud, sprinkle pixy dust, or ride a unicorn, we have to decipher fact from fiction. But, there is another battle that I believe is more prominent, and has a larger impact. That is reality versus reality.

Acceptance and Denial.

Accepting that we are sinners is a huge part of our faith. We must come to the realization that we have an issue that leads to death, so we can get the answer, which is Jesus.

That is reality.

But, often enough, we deny in our hearts that we need to do anything about this issue. My point?

Accepting that you are a sinner, does not mean that you accept your sin.

Often times we look at God's grace as a license to sin. We may not say it, or even consciously think it, but our attitudes say, "I know I'm a sinner. God knows I'm a sinner. He forgives. So whats the big deal?"

The grace of God is not something that just saves us from the consequences of our sin, but it saves us from our sin. Through God's grace and love, He enables us to deny ourselves  and accept the new life He gives us.

John Piper once said that we should declare war on our sin. Declaring war is the opposite of cuddling. How do you deal with your sin? Has it been nailed to the cross? Or, do you wear it like a snuggy?


How do you deal with it?



No comments:

Post a Comment