Sunday, December 23, 2012

Soaking Up Family Traditions On Christmas...

I love Christmas. But, I haven't always loved the family traditions.

I remember as a kid, just waiting for the presents, and hating everything that delayed opening them. We would eat. Boy, would we eat. Then came the old-folks talking for what seemed like ages. Then came the Christmas story. Then more old people talking, and usually some crying. We'd sing happy birthday to Jesus.Then finally... well, then they would talk some more. Then... THE PRESENTS. I hate to brag, but I think I'm the best present unwrapper ever. Just saying.

But, as I get older, I'm starting to cherish the tradition. I'm starting to enjoy the talking. I'm beginning to love my Grandmother reading the Christmas story. And, there may be a tear or seven running down my cheek. But, my favorite part? Singing happy birthday to Jesus. I know it may seem silly. I mean, as a kid, I would giggle through it. But, I love it. 15 or so people, young and old, just singing our hearts out to Jesus as we celebrate His birth. I look around and see my Grandparents, parents, and other family acting as if they were at a childhood friend's birthday party. That's my family. I'm thankful for them,

I'm thankful for my family. I'm starting to realize that they may not always be here. And, so as I soak the tradition up, I also soak them up. My MawMaw loves that Christmas story. My PawPaw loves teasing us grandchildren. My mom loves sharing a recent testimony. My aunts/uncles love to see all of us as their own sons and daughters. My brothers? They love giving me a hard time.

Soak the tradition up. But, soak up the ones you enjoy it with even more. They won't always be there, but cherish them while they are. Even the ones that get on your nerves. If they weren't there? It wouldn't be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment