Thursday, December 13, 2012

Loving Others When You Want to Punch Them In The Throat...

Yes, I said it. There are times when I want to punch people in the throat. You caught me.
 
But, as a Christian, it would be best for me to do otherwise. Christ has called me to more than that, and my Christian witness would probably be ruined by the witness of my fist left on their jugular.

"Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters."
Heb 13:1 (NLT)
 
I have brothers. We argue. We fight. We have thrown pillows, shoes, and tantrums of every sort. We have bloodied noses. And, one brother even knocked a tooth of mine out of my mouth and across the living room. But, you let someone make fun of me. You let someone try to intimidate me, and my brothers will come to the rescue. That is love.
 
Today, I wanted to punch a someone in the throat. They insulted me. They took a bite of french fry, and then threw the crumbs into my face. Boy, I wanted to hand her about 10 karate chops. But, I couldn't. Not because she was bigger than me. Not because I was scared. But, because I knew the spiritual repercussions. I would have darkened the name of Christ in her mind forever. She gave me a chance to respond in anger, but, by responding in grace, a door to witness was left open. She may never apologize. She may never get saved. But, a lack of love on my part won't be the reason.
 
Before punching someone in the throat remember whats at stake. People's hearts and thoughts about Christ are on the line. What will they see if you go off on them like a spider monkey? Not Christ. Will you have to fight your anger to keep your witness? Yes. Will you have to swallow your pride? Yes. But, what if God uses the grace that you use to open their heart for His grace?
 
Remember who you are, and who's you are, before punching someone in the throat.
 
 
ALL ABOUT JESUS.


No comments:

Post a Comment