Monday, January 14, 2013

Train Tracks


I recently moved into a home in Marshville, NC. Yep, the home of Randy Travis. The last few weeks have been hectic. From starting work at a new church, to packing and moving, to having the satellite dude come this week, these past few weeks have been a big adjustment.

 

I must say, I’m loving it. The busyness has been fun. But, there have been some weird, different, and even scary parts. I’m from the country, and I grew up about 15 minutes from the nearest city limit sign. Not anymore. I live in town now. And, if you are in town in Marshville, you can hear the train moving down the tracks several times a day…and night. That scared me at first. When I first thought about it I said, “Oh, poop.” But, once I got moved in, my mind changed. I heard the train, and instead of referring to poop, I said, “Man, that’s cool.” I am loving this train. When it wakes me up at 2am? I don’t clinch my teeth. I smile. It’s just the train…

 

Following Christ can be this way. When we stand on the outside of following Jesus we may think, “Oh, poop.” But, when you’re on the inside? You wouldn’t rather be anywhere else. Yep, even when things feel as inconvenient as hearing a train pass at 2am. You may think of the hiccups and missed opportunities when first seeing if this Jesus thing is for real. I know. I put off following Jesus for 2 or 3 years because of what it might cost me. Now, as a Christ-follower, I couldn’t imagine myself following anyone else. Are there rough patches? You better believe it. But, those speed-bumps aren’t because Jesus led me down the wrong path. I’m experiencing that bump in  the road because I’m imperfect, and I live in an imperfect world. Following Jesus is like living beside the train tracks. And, I’m falling in love with sound of that ole train.

 

But, I need to be careful. I love the sound of that train now, because it’s new and different. What happens after I’ve been here for a few weeks, months, or years. It could lose it’s romance. I could get so used to hearing the sound that it doesn’t even catch my attention. Or, it’s repetitiveness could grow to irritate me. I think the same can happen to following Jesus…

 

Sometimes when we finally crossover to following Jesus, we lose our love after a while. Loving others doesn’t come so easy. Reading our bible doesn’t seem so exciting. And, meeting with the church? Those people can start to get on your nerves.

 

So, what do you do? Well, I don’t want to stop hearing that Train, so I’m going to keep listening for it. I’m going to take note of it’s passing. In my silliness, I may throw up a wave. Will I do the same for Jesus? Will I continue to keep an eye out for His beauty? Will I listen for His calling and encourage? Will you? Don’t fall out of love with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment