Tuesday, July 3, 2012

People Matter.

We were all created. We will all die. Whether we die young, or live to be old, we will expire. Most would say that this truth proves a conclusion that says "time matters." However, I think that the bible teaches that, more than time, people matter.

"But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent."
2 Peter 3:8-9 (NLT)



We will expire. So how do we make it count? We don't try to make as many memories as possible, because they will be forgotten, or, in essence, die. We don't run out and stock up on milk and bread like the 2nd great depression is coming. No. We are to love. We are to invest ourselves in what matters. That is not time, memories, or something that will delay an inevitable ending. We are to invest ourselves in the lives of people. They matter.

I once heard Paul Washer say, "I am to preach as a dying man to dying men."


This quote has made an impression on my heart. It reminds me that I am to live with an extreme since of urgency. I am to do this, because I am dying and others around me are dying. And, if they die without knowing Jesus as Lord, they will not rest for all eternity. But, they will labor in hell. This is to drive us. People that God loves, and that God commands us to love, are dying without knowing God's love. This is horrific. The fields are white for the harvest. Where are the Lord's workers?


The Holy Spirit is teaching me more and more that people matter. People were the reason Christ came. People were the reason that Christ died. I'm not to forget this. Jesus remembered me. I am to remember others. I'm not only to remember them during prayer request time in Sunday School. I'm not to only remember them when they get sick. No. Christ has called me to be a missionary in my home, and in my community. Jesus has called us to more than just saying, "I'll pray for you." Christ has called us to GO and DO. (Matthew 28:16-20/James 1:22)


My challenge today is this: Pick someone today, and pour your life into theirs.

What do I mean by this? Find someone, anyone, who needs to know the love of Jesus. Then, do whatever it takes for that person to know the love of Jesus. This may be risky. It may cost you gas money or time. It cost Jesus his life on the cross. It may be frustrating. They may not get it quickly. Jesus prayed that God the Father forgive them anyway. People matter to Jesus. So, they should matter to you.

"We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters."
1 John 3:16


This is Taylor with some of our Youth at Sliding Rock in Brevard, NC.
Taylor has been leading small group with our girls on Wednesday Nights.
All About Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment