Friday, July 24, 2009

Between My Toes...

I love, love, love the beach. The water crashing into the shore while the wind blows the hair of many. It's a great oppurtunity to sit and talk with friends or have an awesome time fighting the waves with family. The thing that captures me the most suprises many, but it's the sand. I love leaning back, letting my feet sink and watching as the sand rises between my toes.
Sand can be beautiful but it can also be very dangerous.

'24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 for he taught with real authority—quite unlike their teachers of religious law.' -Matthew 7:24-28

Often we get caught up in the beauty and magnificance of sand but I see here that it's better kept for vacation. As we hear the opinions and ways of pagan people we get entangled like strings on a shoe. We chase the world down this highway because the road is ride without speedlimits or restrictions. We build our lives(house) on the ideas(sand) of this world because we see no inspecter pulling in the driveway.
As we travel these ways and set this foundation we have no idea what they lead to. We learn in verse 13 of chapter 7 that the wide highway is the one that leads straight to hell and destruction but the narrow leads to God's Kingdom and eternal life. The narrow is led by the one and only messiah, Jesus Christ. His teaching may not be the easiest but he never promised easy. My king promised a cross to die on and eternal life. Build your house on the rock which is Christ because the sand which is the world will always come short and crumble under your feet when put under the pressure of judgement.
I ask my self today is any room, door, or even square inch of my house built on the sand. Jesus chose to give us a rock to stand on, live by, and shout from. Are we doing it or are we okay with gaing nothing now and still losing everything later?

No comments:

Post a Comment